AMS Rock Band
The Asheville Music School Rock Band Ensemble is comprised of young musicians ages 11-17. With a focus on all styles of rock music, their repertoire features everything from 60s psychedelic rock to 70s punk and progressive to 80s new wave and hair metal to 90s grunge. They even perform their own arrangements of modern pop hits with a rock twist. The group has performed at notable local venues and events, including Isis Restaurant and Music Hall, Downtown After 5, The Orange Peel, LEAF Downtown, and Barnaroo.
Rock Band is taught by Alec Fehl. Alec is a local working musician, a graduate of Berklee College of Music, a private guitar instructor, and the founder of the Guitar Coalition of Western North Carolina. He has been an educator since 1989 and has mentored youth rock bands since 2007.
Students learn or hone the following hard skills. How to:
- tune their instrument
- self-monitor stage volume so other band members can be heard
- play with dynamics
- create original arrangements of existing songs
- play as a cohesive unit rather than a bunch of individuals
- sound check
- pack for a gig
- perform on stage
Students learn or hone the following soft skills:
- Leadership skills – as each student takes on the role of ‘band director’
- Compromise – as students sometimes play songs or parts they aren’t thrilled about to allow another band member to shine
- Kindness – as students support each other when mistakes are made
- Open-mindedness – as no song, artist, or genre is considered ‘bad’
- Acceptance – as new members are welcomed like long lost friends
- Responsibility – as each student must learn their part and bring their equipment
- Commitment – as students practice songs outside of class and come to class regularly
- Improve self-esteem and self-confidence – as being part of a successful team has proven
- Rock Band is for intermediate to advanced players – not beginners.
- While there is no age requirement/restriction, members tend to range in age from 11 – 17.
- Private lessons are recommended to prepare for audition and throughout Rock Band participation.
- Audition criteria handouts are available upon request.
- To audition, contact AMS at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (828) 252-6244. Auditions are scheduled, by appointment, on Saturdays after Rock Band rehearsal
- Rock Band membership requires dedicated participation. This is not a drop-in program. Rehearsals are every Saturday from 10-noon.
- We are not always auditioning. Spaces are limited. Currently, we are seeking one full time guitarist, one alternate drummer, and one alternate bassist.
MUSIC & MOVEMENT PROGRAM for Young Children and Parents
Next Session Days/Times TBA
Join us for an introduction to the wonderful world of Musikgarten! Come experience the joy of making music with your young child. Learn songs and rhymes to use at home for years to come. Find out why Musikgarten is the leader in early childhood music education.
The Meet Musikgarten mini-series is a sneak peek into the rich curriculum of Musikgarten, a complete multi-year educational program that helps infants, toddlers, and children develop a deep love of music and the ability to express it. Songs, games, movement, and instrument playing opportunities center on animals and other favorite childhood themes. Deeply rooted in the understanding of the important role of the family in education, all classes involve the parent or caregiver.
Full sessions, beginning this Fall, include a parent book, instrument or scarf, and Musikgarten CD of outstanding music for movement, singing, and listening at home. Sign up for the full 4 week Meet Musikgarten series to earn a discount off Fall tuition!
Kirsten Earley 828-230-3502
Asheville Music School
126 College St, Asheville
$12 per class, $40 for all 4, and anyone is welcome to drop in for free to find out more about the class.
Piano skills are a must for a well-rounded music education. This class is open to AMS students and the general public. Call ahead to schedule
Day and time: TBA
Taught by AMS faculty member Frank Argento
Requirement: Intermediate level reading or above.
Directed by Gary Bradley
Meets on Saturday afternoons.
Every Monday night at 6:30pm
Led by Sharon LaMotte and Mike Holstein
Focused in the jazz idiom. Beginner-Intermediate levels.
Our first adult ensemble has started! Another is in the works. Call to inquire and put you name on the waiting list. Looking to meet on Sundays. All instruments will be welcome. Must have some playing experience.